Monday, March 14, 2011

[Burlap Wreaths]

I had a craft party on a Sunday last month! A few of my coworkers got together to make these Burlap wreaths that I had made for my friends and in-laws for Christmas!

You will need:

1.5 yards of Burlap

wire coat hanger

other fabric for your flowers

hot glue gun

any other goodies you want to add

We started with 1.5 yards of our favorite color of burlap. Cut in strips of 4 inches wide.

B.large 038

Mark every 4 inches the long way (hotdog way) on the burlap. Then cut a 1” slit then pull the loose burlap string letting gather until the top of the fabric is reached. Then the string will break and you pull it out leaving you with a line to cut! If it breaks in the middle cut up to the point it broke then pull another string and start again.

B.large 037

Here is a closer shot of the string being pulled I used my thumb and fore finger to pinch the fabric part that was being gathered to stabilize the  burlap string!

B.large 035

After you’ve cut all your strips. Start folding them over your coat wire hanger that you straightened out and made it a U shape. It’s best to do every 2.5 inches. You can make it as small or large of folds as you want, but we found this was best!

B.large 043

Laura demonstrates her flower! First she cut out two flower shapes of the fabric she liked. Then She cut a circle out and then cut the circle to make the string you see at the right side of the picture!

B.large 048

She stacked the two flowers on top each other placing the petals opposite of each other.

B.large 049

She rolled the circle string.

B.large 050

Like this!

B.large 053

Sew the three pieces together with a needle and thread and vola!

B.large 054

She ended up not wanting to put it on her wreath! She made this bow and flower for it! I love it! Oh she put the other flower on a tote!! Super cute!

B.large 063

Meagan wanted to make circle flowers. So she made about 12 circles out of some silk fabric I found at St. Vinny’s for cheap!

B.large 045

She folded the circles in half then half again and glued the center together. Then glued on a circle piece of felt. Then she burned  the edges! She placed a button in the center!

B.large 056

This is her close up of the flowers!

B.large 059

Finished product!!!

B.large 060

5 comments:

  1. super cute! I am so in love with burlap right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love burlap and this is such a pretty project. You are very creative! I am now following you thanks to Wednesday Blog Hop and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog:)
    And don't forget to check our new Blog Tutorial going on today, to learn a few very easy tricks to make your blog simply fabulous and have more fun with it. See you there!
    Happy St. Patrick's Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I love that!!
    Thanks for linking up with http://itssewforyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Love it! Thanks so much for linking this up as well last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love burlap! This looks great!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete